Sunday, January 3, 2010

Gingered Cranberry Chutney

You'll have to forgive me, some recipes I have, I've gotten online, but I didn't keep track of where I got them from and I can't remember to save my life. So, if you happen to see something that sounds like a recipe that you have posted or you know who posted, please let me know, and I will happily give credit where credit is due.

This happens to be one of those recipes. I had been on the hunt for a good cranberry chutney recipe for ages, and finally found this one. Ah... I found it - All Recipes. Anyway, this has brown sugar in it, but I just substituted Spenda Brown Sugar to make it more diabetic friendly. It worked wonderfully.

This chutney is good on chicken, pork, and turkey. I also made this last year, put it in a jar and froze it. It was still amazingly wonderful when I defrosted it and at it at Christmas. I hope you enjoy it.



Gingered Cranberry Chutney


1 cup packed brown sugar*
1/3 cup red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 pounds fresh pears, peeled and diced
1 (12 ounce) package fresh or frozen
cranberries
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, cayenne and salt. Bring to a boil. Add pears. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until pears are tender. Strain, reserving liquid. Return liquid to pan. Discard ginger root; set pears aside. Stir cranberries into pan. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain berries, reserving liquid. Return liquid to pan; set berries aside. Bring liquid to a boil; cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Stir in pears, cranberries and cinnamon. Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator.

*I used 1/2 Cup of Splenda Brown Sugar, it worked just fine.

No comments: