Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Beef-Broccoli Stir-Fry

There is always ways to improve things and of course you find this out after the fact. Like I've said before, I try recipes the way they'Re written the first time, then take notes when I eat them to make changes an add or subtract what I think should make it taste better the next time, or sometimes even make me want to eat it again. Sometimes I try things a few times, just to make sure I really don't like it before I give up on it. So far this week, we've had a couple different things that we really liked! but still could be improved upon, to us. You may think differently. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt (literally), and see for yourself, you may like the original recipe better.



We tried a "southwestern turkey burger", that was ok, but the additions may make it awesome. I didn't get a chance to do it for the blog, because Husband was working on it before I knew it. I will do it next time, though.

I made the broccoli beef a few nights ago and it was great. The only thing I would change is that I may marinate the meat longer. I had planned on making spaghetti squash instead of actual pasta, but since I had never used it before, I didn't realize that I needed to bake it first to get the "noodles" out of it. So that will be my first addition, and I will post reports on that when I try it. I may also use more garlic, but that's a personal preference. We like a lot of garlic. This made the house smell amazing.

Feel free to let me know what additions that you made and how they worked out for you. I really look forward to hearing from you, really!

This recipe is from Diabetic Living online, too. I'm telling you that they have fantastic recipes.

Beef-Broccoli Stir-Fry
Makes 4 - 1 1/4 cup stir fry and 1/2 cup spaghetti

 Ingredients:
2 TB reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 TB cornstarch
1TB white vinegar
1TB grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
2 clove garlic, minced (I used 3)
12 oz. boneless beef top sirloin steak
1 small bunch broccoli (about 1#)
2 tsp cooking oil (split)
2 medium carrots, bias sliced, 1/8 inch thick
3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth (as in previous recipes, I use Better Than Bullion, it gives it a richer flavor and you can adjust it)
4 green onions, bias sliced
2 cups hot cooked spaghetti squash or angel hair pasta


DIRECTIONS:
For marinade,  in a medium bowl (I actually used a large zip lock bag)' combine soy sauce, cornstarch, vinegar, ginger, crushed red pepper, and garlic.





Trim fat from meat. Cut meat across the grain into 1/8 inch thick slices.

Add meat to marinade; toss to coat. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes. Drain meat, discarding marinade,


Meanwhile, cut broccoli florets from stems. If desired, peels stems. Cut stems into 1/4 inch thick slices.

In wok or large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add meat; cook and stir in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until. Slightly pink in the center. Remove meat from wok or skillet.




Add the remaining teaspoon to the hot wok or skillet. Add broccoli and carrots; cook and stir for 1 minute.



Add beef broth; cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetable are crisp-tender, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of wok or skillet.



Return cooked meat to wok or skillet.


Add green onions; heat through.





Serve immediately over hot cooked spaghetti squash or pasta.




Per serving: 205 calories, 6 grams total fat, (1g sat. Fat), 40 mg chol., 659 mg sodium, 17 g card (4 g fiber), 22 G protein

Diabetic Exchanges: fat: .5; starch: 1; vegetables: 1; lean meat: 2.5

No comments: