Friday, April 25, 2014

Chicken With Artichokes and Olives

Had to take a week off here, people visiting, not enough time to sit around and play on the internet.

Last week, I made some great stuff. Unfortunately, I was kind of lax in taking pictures, but I'll post the recipes anyway. The first dinner that I made in the week not only smelled amazing, but it was delicious, and really easy to make. I got it from Diabetic Connect. The original recipe calls for it to be made in a slow cooker. I kind of forgot to start it early enough to cook it in one, so I just used my dutch oven. I have been using this for a conversion: Slow Cooker to Dutch Oven Conversion. It's worked pretty well so far. Watch your heat, though. It can burn stuff pretty easily (as I have learned by trial and error). The result is very similar, just takes less time.

Try it out, and as usual, let me know what you think!

Chicken with Artichokes and Olives



Ingredients:
2 cups sliced, fresh mushrooms.
14 1/2-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup dry white wine or reduced sodium chicken broth
1 2 1/4 oz can sliced pitted ripe olives or 1/4 cup capers, drained (I used Spanish olives with pimentos. Very yummy)
2 to 3 tsp curry powder
1 tsp dried thyme, crushed (I didn't realize we were out of Thyme, so I used a spice call Ajwain. It was really tasty - apparently, an Indian spice, so it fit right in with the curry)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 8 or 9 oz package of frozen artichoke hearts (they didn't have frozen where I shop - so I got a can or two without the marinade)
2 1/2# skinless, boneless chicken breast halves and/or thighs
3 TB cornstarch
3 TB cold water



Directions:

In a 4 -5 quart slow cooker (or dutch oven), combine mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, chicken broth, onion, wine, olives, curry powder, thyme, salt and pepper.



Add artichokes.



Place chicken on top; spoon some of the tomato mixture over the chicken.




Cover and cook on low heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high heat for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. (In the dutch oven, I cooked at 325 for 1 hour)

Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and artichokes to a serving bowl.



Cover chicken and artichokes with foil to keep warm.

If using a low heat setting, turn to high heat setting. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Stir into mixture in cooker. Cover and cook about 15 minutes more until thickened (I did this on the stove. Check on the time when you do it. I burned mine a little, even on medium heat.)



Spoon tomato mixture over chicken and artichokes.



Per Serving (8 servings):
Calories: 229, Fat: 4 g, Chol: 82 mg, Sod: 396 mg, Carb: 10 g, Pro: 35 g

No comments: