Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pork with Garlic Cream Sauce

Once in a while, I run into a recipe that seems incomplete. Like the timing is either off, or they left out a step. This is one of those. It comes from a new (to me) I site that I've been checking out called Diabetic Connect. We'll see how things go with it. I'm definitely going to have to tweak some things, I can already see that.

Without the tweaks, it was still really yummy and husband really loved it, too. We had the same ideas for the changes, too. A couple of things that were mentioned in the comments on the original recipe were about the cooking time on the meat. Since this is pork, you know that you want to make sure that it is really done. Not overlooked, of course, but done. It can get tricky with this kind of cooking because you don't want to keep taking it out of the oven with the broiler on, at the risk of losing some of the heat. And the meat is too thin to use a thermometer. The only thing I can suggest would be using your best judgement and experience with your broiler. In the recipe itself, it says to cook the meat under the broiler for 4 to 6 minutes. What it does not say is, do you flip the meat and if so, is that per side? Again, I suggest using your judgement. I did it on one side and found that I would probably fare better if I did it on both sides for the full 4 to 6 minutes on both sides. Otherwise, I ended up putting it back in the oven over and over.

As far as tweaking the recipe goes, we found a few things. I think I would salt the meat just little  and let it sit there for a few minutes to make it less tough in the cooking. See how you feel about it, but we both agreed a tiny bit of salt and more garlic would fare well in the cream sauce. We served this with quinoa cooked in chicken broth with peas. Super simple and quite tasty. The quinoa tasted a little off, but I think that's because it was cooked with the peas. those probably should have been cooked separately. 

And as usual - please tell me what you think or anything different you did.

Pork with Garlic Sauce


Ingredients:
1# pork tenderloin

2 tsp canola oil
2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted, divided
1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBSP butter or stick margarine
1/3 C 1% milk
3 oz reduced fat cream cheese , cubed
1 TBSP minced chives



Directions:
Cut pork into 1" slices, flatten to 1/2" thickness

Place in a 15"x10"x1" baking dish, coated in non-stick cooking spray. Brush oil all over sides of pork, then sprinkle with half of the sesame seeds. 


Broil 4-6" from the heat for 3-5 minutes longer ir until meat juices run clear.


Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute garlic in butter for one minute. 


Stir in milk and cream cheese. Reduce heat, cook and stir until blended and smooth. Stir in chives.


Serve with pork.

Per Serving (3 oz cooked pork with 2 TBSP sauce):
Calories: 255, Fat: 13 g (6 sat), Chol,: 88mg, Sodium: 151 mg, Carb: 3 g, Fiber: Trace, Protein: 27 g

Diabetic Exchanges:
1 Fat



No comments: